Accessibility statement for Barton Stacey PC Website
This website is run by Barton Stacey Parish Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website aren’t fully accessible:
- the text won’t reflow in a single column when you change the size of the browser window
- you can’t modify the line height or spacing of text
- most older PDF documents aren’t fully accessible to screen reader software
- videos don’t have captions
- some of our online forms are difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
- you can’t skip to the main content when using a screen reader
- there’s a limit to how far you can magnify on maps
- some externally supplied PDF documents may not be fully compliant. We have no control over these documents
What to do if you can’t access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 7 days.
If you are having trouble finding the village or facilities within the village, call or email us for directions.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems that aren’t listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact the Parish Clerk, Jo Gadney via the following:
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We can provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
If you contact us and we can provide audio induction loops, or we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Contact the Parish Clerk, Jo Gadney via the following:
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Barton Stacey PC is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
Some images don’t have a text alternative, so the information in them isn’t available to people using a screen reader. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).
We plan to add text alternatives for all images by December 2020. When we publish new content we’ll make sure our use of images meets accessibility standards.
At the present time, we have not identified any specific issues that would be of disproportionate burden.
Navigation and accessing information
It’s not always possible to change the device orientation from horizontal to vertical without making it more difficult to view the content. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.3.4 (orientation).
It’s not possible for users to change text size without some of the content overlapping. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.4 (resize text).
Interactive tools and transactions
Our forms are built and hosted through third party software and ‘skinned’ to look like our website. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.3.1 (information and relationships).
We’ve assessed the cost of fixing the issues with navigation and accessing information, and with interactive tools and transactions. We believe that doing so now would be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. We will make another assessment when the supplier contract is up for renewal, likely to be in 1 year.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents don’t meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. By the end of 2020, we plan to either fix these or replace them with accessible HTML pages.
The accessibility regulations don’t require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
Some externally supplied, interactive PDFs may not be fully compliant. We have no control over these documents.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
How we tested this website
This website was last tested on 10 August 2019. The test was carried out by Antony Bearpark, the website administrator, using WAVE.
- our main website platform, available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk
- the following pages, as they contain a sample of different features found on the website. These pages were:
- “Agendas & Minutes” page available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/council/council-minutes/
- “Freedom of Information” page available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/council/freedom-of-information/
- “Services” page available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/services/
- “Businesses” page available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/business/
- A randomly chosen business page available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/project/difford-kennels/
- “News” page available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/news/
- A randomly chosen article available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/a303-forton-longparish-safety-barrier-replacement-2/
- “Contact” page available at https://www.bartonstaceyparishcouncil.gov.uk/contact/
Whilst we do not have a report for the testing you can test the website yourself using their tool available from their website.
A colour blind test was also tested using Accessibility Suite by Online ADA.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
This statement was prepared on 10 August 2019. It was last updated on 10 August 2019.